The first time I reviewed a set of pleasure balls (also known as kegel balls, ben-wa balls, or kegel exercisers,) I did a dive into the scientific literature concerning these are-they-a-sex-toy-or-are-they-a-wellness-product?
TL;DR: despite claims that kegel balls strengthen the pelvic floor, there’s little evidence that using them is any more effective than doing unaided kegel exercises alone. And there’s no hard evidence, beyond the anecdotal, to support the notion that using them improves sexual pleasure or makes it easier to orgasm over time.
Until I see some more robust data, I’m going to assume that kegel balls have limited to no physiological benefit beyond being fun to use. With that said, let’s take a look at the Lovehoney Excite Pleasure Balls.
Facts & figures
The Lovehoney Excite Pleasure Balls are two firm, connected balls coated in silicone. They have a long tail for easy removal, and each ball has a free-moving weight inside for added stimulation. The total weight is 73g. (If you’re looking for something a bit heavier, Lovehoney also offer the 90g “Main Squeeze” kegel balls, which I’m also a fan of.)
The total insertable length is around 3 inches, and each ball is 1.4″ in diameter.
They’re also purple, which always gets points from me!
I’ve always found Lovehoney to be a great source of decent, affordable basic products and these are no exception. The Excite Pleasure Balls are easy to insert and comfortable to wear, thanks to the smooth surface and soft silicone.
The jiggle weights inside allow for subtle but noticeable stimulation, rolling around inside you as you move. Unlike some other kegel balls I’ve tried, these felt snug and secure once inside and I never feared they were going to fall out.
The silicone tail feels flimsy at first glance, but is actually extremely strong. So don’t worry about not being able to get the balls out again!
Pro tips for maximum pleasure
- Always use plenty of water-based lube.
- Try leaving your Excite Pleasure Balls in while you do clitoral or anal play.
- Wearing them out and about during the day can be super sexy and fun. But don’t try it with no practice! Start out using your kegel balls for no more than 10-15 minutes. You can always build up to longer periods of wear.
- Sterilise your kegel balls between every use using the boil method.
- Someone on Lovehoney recommended pulling them out (or having a partner pull them out) at the point of orgasm. I haven’t tried this, but imagine it could be fun!
A solid and fun little toy for the price. Get yourself a set for £12.99 from Lovehoney.
Thanks to Lovehoney for sending me this product to review. All views are, as always, my own. Affiliate links appear within this post.