I’m a big fan of pervertables for kink. That is, ordinary items that can be misappropriated for sexy purposes. Think wooden spoon spankings, clothes pegs on nipples, and so on. But when it comes to things to use on your genitals, how to make your own sex toy – and even whether or not this is a good idea – is not quite so straightforward.
I understand the temptation of making your own sex toy. Toys can be expensive. If you live with family, have little privacy, or live in a place with strict laws, they can also be difficult to get hold of. That’s why I’m not going to tell you not to do it. Instead, I’m going to give you some quick safety facts and show you some ways you can go about making or improvising a sex toy while minimising your risk of harm.
Making Your Own Sex Toy: Safety Considerations
Overall, most people have a very poor level of understanding when it comes to the things that are and are not safe to use on their genitals. This is for two main reasons:
- Sex education sucks almost universally so unless you were lucky enough to have very switched on parents or go to an incredibly progressive school, you almost certainly weren’t taught this stuff.
- The sex toy industry is almost entirely unregulated. This means that manufacturers can lie, both about what materials they’re using and about the safety profile of those materials, and there is little recourse to call them on it when they do.
So with that in mind, be very very cautious about what you use as a sex toy. All kinds of items and materials can harm your body. This can run the gamut from physical injuries (for example, from using items with sharp edges) through to infection (from using items that aren’t properly sterile or are made of porous materials which can harbour bacteria.)
Quick Safety Tips
Follow these tips to keep yourself as safe as possible if you’re going to experiment with homemade sex toys:
- Only use items that are smooth and free from sharp edges
- Never use anything sharp, pointy, or that may have splinters
- Never use anything breakable (such as glass items)
- Avoid highly porous materials
- Put a condom over anything you are going to insert into your body
- If you are doing anal play, always always always make sure your item has a flared base or a large handle so you can retrieve it easily
- Don’t use anything electrical in the bath, shower, or near water
- Do not use items that have already been used for other purposes (such as used electric toothbrushes) and keep the item for sexual purposes only – or retire it – once you’ve used it as a sex toy
- If you use food items such as vegetables, do not eat them afterwards but throw them away
- Only ever use your own items as sex toys, never something belonging to someone else
How to Make Your Own Sex Toy: 3 Ways
Cast Your (or Your Partner’s) Genitals
Making your own sex toy at home is relatively affordable thanks to the invention of genital casting kits such as Clone-a-Willy and Clone-a-Pussy. These kits typically cost under $50 and allow you to make a replica of your or your partner’s penis or vulva. The finished toy will be made of silicone, so it will be body-safe and should last for many years with the right care.
Bonus: it’s a fun and surprisingly hilarious date night activity.
Learn How to Work With Body-Safe Materials
If you want to make your own sex toy, you can always turn it into a project or a new hobby by learning how to actually work with body-safe sex toy materials and make things to a good standard.
For example, you might learn how to mix and pour silicone and make your own toy moulds. Or you could take up woodturning and make beautiful wooden sex toys (don’t forget to glaze and seal them properly with a body-safe finish!) on your lathe at home.
Repurpose Safe(r) Items
Fortunately, there are several household items you can use as a makeshift sex toy that are unlikely to cause you any harm. The following are likely to be okay with some basic safety precautions:
- A new, clean electric toothbrush (use the non-bristled end)
- A vibrating back massager
- An electric showerhead
- Smooth handles of items like hairbrushes (as long as they are clean and covered with a condom)
- Some vegetables, as long as you wash them and cover them with a condom (check carefully to make sure there are no rough or spiky bits first)
Let the Professionals Handle It
If you want something designed perfectly for you, it’s time to hand things over to the professionals. Yes, there are companies out there who will make you your very own personalized sex toy based on the specifications that you request.
Freely Toys, based in Montreal, offers a unique “custom adult toy” builder where you can make your own sex toy design and then they’ll create it for you. This can include choosing the shape, curvature, size, colour, base style, and even the firmness of your toy. At the time of writing, there are 52 basic designs for you to choose from and then customize. So no matter what you’re dreaming of, they can probably make it for you! Of course, they also have a range of pre-made designs for you to choose from.
Freely’s custom platinum silicone toys are of the highest quality and made using 100% body-friendly materials. So you’ll know you’re getting value for your money as well as a safe toy that you can use with complete peace of mind.
Thanks to Freely Toys for sponsoring this post. All writing and views are, as always, mine!